Tuesday 23 March 2010

Now Playing: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)


I already forget how I used to feel about you.
RATING: 5/5
CATEGORY: Romantic Drama-Comedy

I liked this film the 1st time I saw it. The 2nd time, I fully understood it. The 3rd time, I fell in love with it.

Too much conversation in films bores me but this film which won the 2005 Oscar Award in Best Writing [Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry & Pierre Bismuth] nailed my taste with a good combination of serious-comic dialogues and dizzying flashback scenes that will somehow mess your mind.

Indeed, the story is about the mind and how powerful love is. I wouldn't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen the film so I won't discuss the plot here.
 
Other than the plot, I love the script and one of the songs in the soundtrack (Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes by Beck). As an avid Jim Carrey fan, this is one of his noteworthy serious portrayals to date.

Below are some of the lines which struck me most, courtesy of IMDb:




Joel Barrish (Jim Carrey): Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.


Clementine Kruczynski (Kate Winslet): This is it, Joel. It's going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.



Joel: Sand is overrated. It's just tiny, little rocks.


Mary (Kirsten Dunst): Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.
[they click glasses] Nietzsche. Beyond Good and Evil. Found it in my Bartlett's.



[Clementine is trying to comfort baby Joel by showing him her crotch]
Clementine: My crotch is still here, just as you remembered it.
Joel: Yuck!



[Mary reads to Dr. Mierzwiak out of "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations"; the lines are from Alexander Pope's poem "Eloisa to Abelard"]
Mary: How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! / Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.



Clementine: Joel, I'm not a concept. Too many guys think I'm a concept or I complete them or I'm going to make them alive, but I'm just a fucked up girl who is looking for my own peace of mind. Don't assign me yours.




Joel: I could die right now, Clem. I'm just... happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be.


Patrick (Elijah Wood): Mary hates me. I've never been popular with the ladies.
Stan (Mark Ruffalo): Maybe if you stopped stealing their panties.



Clementine: Joel, hide me in your humiliation!


Stan: You looked happy. Happy with a secret.


Clementine: Sometimes I don't think people realize how lonely it is to be a kid.


Joel: I can't remember anything without you.
Clementine: That's sweet, but try.



Joel: My God, there's people coming out of your butt.


Joel: I don't see anything I don't like about you.
Clementine: But you will! But you will, and I'll get bored with you and feel trapped, because that's what happens with me.
Joel: Okay.



Joel: [voice over] random thoughts for Valentine's day, 2004. Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.


Clementine: You're not a stalker, or anything, right?
Joel: I'm not a stalker. YOU'RE the one that talked to me, remember?
Clementine: That is the oldest trick in the stalker book.
Joel: Really? There's a stalker book? Great, I gotta read that one.



Clementine: [Clementine has dyed her hair orange] You like? To match my sweatshirt, exactly.
Joel: Ahaaahhhhh! Ohhhhhh! I like it!
Clementine: You do?
Joel: You look like a tangerine!
Clementine: Hmmm, Clementine the tangerine.
Joel: Juicy... 'n seedless.
Clementine: I like that.



Frank (Thomas Jay Ryan): The only Valentine's Day cards I get are from my mother. How pathetic is that?


Clementine: Joely?
Joel: Yeah Tangerine?
Clementine: Am I ugly?
Joel: Uh-uh.
Clementine: When I was a kid, I thought I was. I can't believe I'm crying already. Sometimes I think people don't understand how lonely it is to be a kid, like you don't matter. So, I'm eight, and I have these toys, these dolls. My favorite is this ugly girl doll who I call Clementine, and I keep yelling at her, "You can't be ugly! Be pretty!" It's weird, like if I can transform her, I would magically change, too.
Joel: [kisses Clementine] You're pretty.
Clementine: Joely, don't ever leave me.
Joel: You're pretty... you're pretty... pretty...



Mary: Adults are like a combination of sadness and phobias.


Hollis (Dierdre O'Connell): Don't be a monster, Howard (Tom Wilkinson). Tell the poor girl. You can have him, sweetie. You already did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...